Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Week so far...

The week has been spontaneous. I started my advanced Spanish class (in order to get there I have to walk 30 minutes, so I am getting a workout each day) and it is pretty easy the hardest part about it is trying to learn the Chilean way of saying things but I think I am catching on pretty fast. Who knows I might be speaking Chileno when I return. I seem to blend in with the natives here they ask me if I am a Chilena the only draw back is when I am with all the “gringos”, they don't seem to believe me then.

Still no bag but I was assured to get it this afternoon if not I will be heading to Santiago and giving them a piece of my mind. Met more people at school Joe and Rachel who will be interning at a winery, Emily who teaches English to little kids, Michael who will be teaching English to teens, and Greg who works at a winery. It’s funny to walk with the group because everyone yells out “gringos” and then they look at me and look confuse.

Chile is known for a drinking country which I had no idea most people have wine if not beer with their meals I of course choose wine if we eat pasta, my roommates enjoy cooking so for dinner we make something different and eat at the dinner table like a family. My family here consist of Kristy which is the mom she is from Illinois, Corey who is the brother he is from the Northeast, Canadian decent, and Angela who is the sister she is from North Carolina.

We all get along fairly well and do many things together. Monday afternoon we just hung out watched TV and drank wine similar to chilenos and it was pretty chill. Since it was gloomy Tuesday afternoon we decided to go see a movie “Prince of Persia”. It was in English with Spanish subtitles so not too bad. We also watched the Lakers beat the Celtics at a bar which served us Kuntsmann Beer and these “gringos” I am with drank like there was no tomorrow three towers for only 22,000 pesos. We have a TV but the only things we usually watch are reruns of FRIENDS and Two and a half men.

Food here is great! I have been to a German place which serves the biggest burgers in Chile, you literally have to share it (even the guys). Here in Vina del Mar they incorporate other cultures, I still have not found any Salvadorian restaurant but we found a Mexican place and their fajitas/margaritas were better than the ones in Texas (seriously). The hot dog or “completo” is very popular here and it is ridiculous everything they put on it but it is great. The official Chilean drink is the Pisco Sour which contains egg white, pisco, lemon juice, sugar, and crushed ice. The one I had was great, it really matters where you get it because I have heard there are some places that do not do it well.

Ciao,
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Are there any wines you've had that we can find here in the U.S.? I've had Chilean wines before but I'm not the connoisseur that it seems you are going to develop into. Bring some back with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having fun!!! :D
    I suddenly got really hungry while reading this, lol.
    I'm happy to hear that you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete